Medela Freestyle Hands-Free Double Electric Wearable Breast Pump
The Freestyle™ Hands-free is Medela’s smallest and first wearable hands-free double electric breast pump, designed so you can carry on with other tasks while you’re expressing. The compact, pocket-sized pump is a separate unit, allowing the lightweight collection cups to fit discreetly inside your bra for a superior hands-free pumping experience.
The anatomically shaped collection cups fit seamlessly in most nursing bras and have been designed to be assembled in only three simple steps. The combination of 105° angled breast shields and 2-Phase Expression® technology makes Medela’s Freestyle™ Hands-free breast pump the superior hands-free experience.
Choosing the right size breast shield/flange
Using the wrong sized flange results in a painful and uncomfortable pumping experience and can make your very expensive pump produce as much milk as if you were using an $80 no-brand pump.
Breast shield sizing is more of an art than a science and depends on the diameter of your nipples (both before and after pumping) and the elasticity of your areola. The easiest and most effective way to get the right size flange is to have a Lactation Consultant watch while you pump, trying various sizes (I love Alona and she does home visits!).
The first step is to measure the diameter of your nipples when they're relaxed (not when they're contracted and hard), then buy N+2-to-3mm and N+4-to-5mm shields. Typically, your nipples won't both be the same size.
For example, if your left nipple measures 20mm in diameter, try the 22mm or 23mm shield and the 24mm or 25mm shield (for each pump brand, not all sizes will be available - eg. we don't have 25mm shields for Medela, but we do have 25mm shields for Spectra). If your right nipple measures 23mm in diameter, try a 25/26mm shield and a 27/28mm shield. If there's overlap in the shields you need to try for each breast, such as in this example, that's great. The mother in this example would only need to buy three shields: 22mm (to try for left breast), 25mm (to try for both breasts), 28mm (to try for right breast).
Once you've worked out which size fits your breast best, you can buy extras as needed.
If this does your head in, contact us, tell us your nipple diameters and pump brand and we'll help you cart the correct shields.
- Wearable, ultra-lightweight collection cups are amongst the lightest available (76g each) and designed to fit comfortably and discreetly in your bra
- Freestyle™ Hands-free pump combines comfort with portability, helping busy mums to multitask
- Separate pump stays in your pocket instead of weighing on your breast
- Anatomically shaped collection cups uniquely designed to maximise milk expression and comfort by reducing compression of breast tissue
- Easy to clean and assemble collection cups with just three parts and in only three steps. Dishwasher safe
- Transparent design so you can easily align the nipple and check if milk is flowing
- Built-in, USB-rechargeable¹ battery for convenient pumping wherever you are
- Connectivity to the Medela Family™ app allows you to create a personalised profile tailored to your needs
- 2-Phase Expression™ technology mimics baby’s natural sucking rhythm – faster at first to stimulate milk flow, then slower to express milk for efficient and comfortable pumping
- 1 x Freestyle™ Hands-free Breast Pump (motor unit)
- 1 x tubing
- 2 x cups
- 2 x membranes
- 2 x 24mm hands-free cup breast shields
- 2 x 21mm hands-free cup breast shields
- 1 x power adaptor and USB-C charging cable
- 1 x instructions for use
Here's a short how-to-use video from the manufacturer for the Medela Freestyle Hands-Free Double Electric Wearable Breast Pump:
- Power input: 100-240V~/50-60Hz/400-200mA
- Unit weight: <1.0 lbs / 273g (breast pump only) / 76g / 2.68 oz. (cups only) / 0.98kg /2.16lbs (in retail package)
- 248 x 128 x 219 mm (Unit size / package)